The most recent efforts to decriminalize and outright legitimize marijuana use have had a pretty profound effect on the cultivation industry. What was once a decidedly underground hobby for fearless botanists has morphed into a never-ending debate among enthusiasts young and old: which strains are the best of the best?
Today’s marijuana is an altogether different beast than the stuff of yesteryear. Smokers from the 60s, 70s, or even the 80s are often dumbfounded at the sheer number of choices that can be found at the local dispensary these days. It can be incredibly frustrating to wade through all of the hoopla and settle on something that truly suits you.
While it’s a difficult question to answer, we’ve cracked the code and settled on some of the finest strains you’ll ever encounter, broken down by the three major types: Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid.
Indica: The Body High
The Indica type has been lauded as the best remedy for everything from simple age-related aches and pains to diseases like glaucoma and cancer. Known for an all-over body high, these strains offer pain relief and relaxation without the giggles.
Blue God – This gorgeous lime-green and purple bud tastes like fruit and produces an incredibly relaxing, night-time high, suitable for stress relief, occasional bouts of insomnia, and temporary relief from symptoms of ADHD and OCD.
- Hindu Kush – A Sweet-smelling, subtle, blackberry flavored plant, this entry has been described as the best strain for migraine relief ever created. Grab a glass of your favorite beverage to avoid the associated cotton-mouth, which seems to be a common problem with this otherwise amazing bud.
- Caviar – A mixture of several different grape varieties, Caviar has been described as tasting like expensive wine and dark chocolate. It’s also perfect for joint-pain and all-over relaxation.
- G-13 – Named after the mythical marijuana from the Academy Award-winning movie “American Beauty”, this one really lives up to its legendary name. It’s routinely heralded for its unsurpassed anxiety relieving properties.
Sativa: The Thinking Man’s Marijuana
Unlike the Indica type, Sativa focuses its high almost entirely on the mind. Fans of Sativa praise it for its role in heightening creativity, enhancing mood, and stimulating conversation among friends. Think of Sativa as the guest of honor at the best party you’ve ever thrown.
- Durban Poison – A definite daytime strain, the energizing effect of these sweet, yet earthy buds is second to none. Users report a marked decrease in social phobia, and an instant lift of mild to moderate depression.
- Super Silver Haze – This orange-colored, distinctly sour strain is loved for its creativity-enhancing effects. Reportedly ideal for writers and visual artists, it’s often referred to as the best remedy for writer’s block in the known universe.
- Sour Diesel - With light-green flowers covered in tiny orange hairs, this bud is almost as good to look at as it is to smoke. The strong citrus flavor leads to a creeping, light-headed high, ideal for deep conversation with friends and loved ones.
- Pineapple Express – Named after the potent strain that sent Seth Rogen and James Franco into hysterics in the movie of the same name, this fruity strain is reported to be the top-notch strain for motivation. A few puffs of this bud will certainly help you clean up around the house.
Hybrid Strains: The Best of Both Worlds
Not content to rely on either Indica or Sativa as the final word in marijuana, the brightest minds in the world have concocted potent combinations of the best strains from both camps.
These buds aren’t for the faint of heart, but they’ll certainly leave you wanting more.
- White Widow
The mother of all hybrid strains, the best of both worlds is combined in this legendary strain. The Sativa gives a powerful burst of euphoria and energy, the mix with typical Indica qualities like relaxation and stress relief makes this a perfect strain for social smoking.
- One Eyed Jamaican – This pungent bud tastes a little earthy, but gives a cerebral, yet couch-surfing, relaxing high. Proponents also note its incredible anti-nausea effect, reportedly on par with the most expensive pharmacological anti-emetics on the market today.
- Agent Orange – Popular with Michigan-area dispensaries, this spicy-tasting hybrid will send you on a very psychedelic, energetic high. Be careful, though: even experienced connoisseurs need only a hit or two to get where they’re going.
- AK-46 – This light-green, sticky bud gives users an all-over mind/body high that’s second to none. At once sociable and relaxing, reviewers credit this strain with everything from curing insomnia to getting the dishes done, making it perhaps the best all-around strain on the market today.